House movers refer to professionals who specialize in relocating the entire physical structure of a house from one location to another. This service is distinct from typical household goods moving services. Here’s what you should know about house moving:
Key Aspects of House Moving Services
- Feasibility Assessment:
- House movers conduct a thorough assessment to determine if a house is structurally suitable for moving.
- Factors like the house’s size, age, construction materials, and the route to the new location are considered.
- Permits and Regulations:
- Obtaining necessary permits from local authorities is crucial. This includes route permits, building permits at the new site, and sometimes highway movement permits.
- Compliance with local and state regulations is essential.
- Preparation of the House:
- Preparing the house often involves lifting it from its foundation using hydraulic jacks and placing it on a moving platform or dollies.
- Utilities must be disconnected, and certain structural adjustments may be necessary.
- Specialized equipment and vehicles are used to transport the house. The process requires careful coordination and skilled operators.
- The route is planned meticulously, considering factors like road widths, overhead obstacles (like power lines), and ground conditions.
- New Foundation and Setup:
- At the new location, a foundation must be prepared in advance to receive the house.
- The house is positioned and lowered onto the new foundation, followed by reconnection of utilities and other finishing work.
Choosing House Movers
- Specialization and Experience:
- Look for a company that specializes in house moving with extensive experience.
- Check their track record for similar projects.
- Insurance and Liability:
- Ensure the movers have adequate insurance coverage for potential damages.
- Discuss liability issues and understand the coverage terms.
- Cost Estimates:
- House moving can be expensive. Get detailed quotes from several companies.
- Understand what the quotes include, such as transportation, new foundation construction, and additional fees.
- Consultation and Site Visit:
- A site visit is essential for accurate assessment and planning.
- Discuss your needs and expectations in detail.
- References and Reviews:
- Ask for references and check online reviews.
- Consult local authorities or building experts for recommendations.
- Timing and Scheduling:
- House moving is a time-consuming process. Plan and schedule the move well in advance.
- Consider seasonal factors that might affect the move, like weather conditions.
- Local Community Impact:
- Moving a house can impact local communities, especially if road closures or utility disruptions are involved. Proper communication and coordination with local authorities and communities are necessary.
- Post-Move Work:
- Anticipate additional work after the move, like landscaping, interior renovations, and exterior finishing.
House moving is a complex and specialized service that requires professional expertise and careful planning. It’s essential to work with experienced and reputable house movers who can manage the entire process, from the initial assessment to the final setup at the new location. Proper planning, coordination, and understanding of the financial and legal aspects are key to a successful house move.